Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
We fell in love with this one, even my eleven year old ate every bite!
Make and share this The Best Vegetarian Split Pea Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 lb dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- hot sauce (optional)
- Place water, bay leaves, bullion and peas in crockpot.
- Cook for 5 hours or until peas have broken down and are smooth when stirred.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic and crushed red pepper.
- Place butter in skillet and saute onions for 2 minutes.
- Simmer for another hour.
- Turn off the heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Stir in the cream.
- Add the hot sauce if desired and serve hot.