Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a variation of a recipe from Fine Cooking magazine. Believe me, you won't miss the meat!
Make and share this The Best Vegetarian Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 5 cups milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 1⁄2 lb spinach, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups whole canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated Fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 9x13" baking pan with 1 tbsp.butter.
- Cover dried tomatoes with 1 cup boiling water; soak for 20 minutes. Drain. Chop. Set aside.
- Make bechamel sauce: heat 8 tablespoons butter in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and carrots; cook for 5 minutes. Add flour; cook two minutes. Whisk in milk; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, whisking, until thick, 20-25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil and remaining butter in a 6 quart pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook 10 minutes. Add dried tomatoes, spinach, garlic, parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and tomato paste; coo 3 minutes. Add canned tomatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set sauce aside.
- Spread 2 cups of tomato sauce in baking dish. Cover with a layer of noodles (uncooked). Spread 1 cup bechamel sauce over top; sprinkle with 1/2 cup of each cheese and 2 cups tomato sauce. Repeat layering 2 more times.
- Top with remaining noodles, tomato sauce, bechamel, and cheeses.
- Bake, covered with foil, on a baking sheet for 1 hour. Remove foil; raise oven temp to 500 degrees. Bake until golden, 15 minutes.
- Allow to stand 15-20 minutes before cutting into servings.