Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Finally, an onion soup without the beef broth!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 4 -5 medium yellow onions, sliced in rings very thinly
- 2 vegetarian beef stock cube
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine (dealcolholized ok, but the real stuff is best)
- swiss cheese
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and sugar and let cook for at least 15 minutes, until onions begin to caramelize.
- Add entire bottle of red wine, and simmer until wine is reduced to about half, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, bring 1 L of water to a boil and add the 2 cubes of vegetarian beef flavoured stock.
- Add onions and wine to the stock in the pot, and simmer gently for another 15 or 20 minutes.
- Pour soup into onion soup bowls, top generously with sliced swiss cheese and set under the broiler for 2 minutes, or until cheese is light brown and bubbly.