Finally, an onion soup without the beef broth!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- 2Add onions and sugar and let cook for at least 15 minutes, until onions begin to caramelize.
- 3Add entire bottle of red wine, and simmer until wine is reduced to about half, about 15 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, bring 1 L of water to a boil and add the 2 cubes of vegetarian beef flavoured stock.
- 5Add onions and wine to the stock in the pot, and simmer gently for another 15 or 20 minutes.
- 6Pour soup into onion soup bowls, top generously with sliced swiss cheese and set under the broiler for 2 minutes, or until cheese is light brown and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.3
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian beef stock cube