1/1 Photo of The Best Vanilla Buttermilk Cake
from smittenkitchen.com. She says "This might be one of the best yellow cakes to come out of my kitchen, and I will certainly be coming back to it to try it in cupcake format soon." Makes one three-layer 9-inch round cake [Equivalent in batter to an 8-inch square; we scaled it up for a 10-inch square/middle tier of the wedding cake] I found it very important to use the parchment paper, otherwise your cake WILL stick (I know from experience). Also, it may look like a mistake, but both baking powder amounts are supposed to be there, food.com would not let me enter a T and tsp measurement on one line. Please add all the baking powder when directed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Preheat the oven to 325°F Butter three 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.
- 22. Combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixer bowl. With the mixer on low speed, blend for 30 seconds. Add the butter and 1 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Mix on low speed briefly to blend; then raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 33. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and the remaining 1/3 cup buttermilk until well blended. Pour one-third of the egg mixture into the cake batter at a time, folding it in completely after each addition. There will be 9 cups of batter; our 3 cups batter into each pan.
- 44. Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 55. Turn the layers out onto wire racks by placing a rack on top of a pan, inverting it, and lifting off the pan. Peel off the paper liners and let cool completely. When the layers have cooled, place a cardboard cake board on top of a layer, invert again, and lift off the rack. To make the layers easier to handle, wrap them on their boards completely in plastic, so they don’t dry out, and refrigerate them.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Vanilla Buttermilk Cake
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.1
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 188.4 mg
- Sodium 398.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 51.7 g
- Protein 9.1 g