Recipe by Polly W
I love soup and will cook several kinds on a weekend when I play catch on house cleaning and laundry ! Only until golf season that is !!! I freeze some and keep the rest in the fridge for a quick dinner during the busy work week.. I usually double the recipe because it does not seem to last long !
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) cansanmarzano diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- fresh ground salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In your stove top dutch oven, heat oil and butter. Add onion and cook over medium heat until lightly brown, stirring often.
- Add garlic and thyme, stir 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, honey, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then turn heat down until soup is just a simmer.
- Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Take 3/4 of the soup and put in blender in small batches. Puree soup and return to soup pot, add heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley and basil.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour. Serve with garlic bread and enjoy !