Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another favorite from La Dolce Vegan...I like to make extra...it keeps well in the fridge all week...then I use it again and again for different things when I am feeling lazy. I like to take left-overs of this and put it in with sliced pan-fried potatoes, just when the potatoes are almost done cooking...yum! Makes great egg sandwiches, too! I like to slice cherry tomatoes in half instead of using big tomatoes, as the little ones are more dependable flavor-wise all year long. I like to add the tomatoes a few minutes before cooking is done, just so they get a bit cooked and shriveled...just my preference. Oh, and drain, drain, drain that tofu before you use it, as always!!!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb firm tofu, crumbled (extra firm is fine, too)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sage (I like to use dried rubbed sage)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, saute the onions in oil until translucent.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the crumbled tofu, garlic,nutritional yeast, tamari, mustard, turmeric, sage, basil, salt and pepper until well-mixed.
- Add tofu mixture to onions and scramble until tofu is browned and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Toss with tomatoes and serve immediately.
i've made this a couple times and it's really yummy. you can play around with the spices and omit the yeast flakes if you're like me and forget to add them--it still turns out great.
I took out the oil, and it brings the calories from fat way down. Just caramelize some onions (can add garlic and shallots too) in low-sodium vegetable broth and use as needed. This dish was great. 5 stars.
My first attempt at tofu scramble. Delicious!! Will definitely be a mainstay of my meal plan.