I really think I nailed this finally after years of mediocre veggie burgers, My youngest son (although I wouldn't say he had refined taste buds) declared these as good as meat burgers and that's what he usually eats. Fairly firm, good texture, great taste. Freezing the tofu is the key. Please do let me know what you think if you try them
- 1 (420 g) package tofu, frozen for at least 3 days, thawed, squeezed dry and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup oats, finely ground or 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked beans (whatever kind you have, I used kidney beans)
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine in food processor til well combined but not mushy.
- Form into 8 patties.
- Fry 5 mins per side until brown and crispy.
- or bake 20-25 min @ 375.
- I served mine with arugula, tomato, red onion and goat cheese. What an awesome combination.