1/4 Photos of The Best Toad in the Hole. Comfort at Its Best
1 hr 35 mins
This is the one. No fail, not heavy podge but yummy wonder A perfect toad in the hole . for me this means brown yummy sausages (or left over beef/pork/lamb), a light custary yorkshire pudding, crispy on the edges and risen and fluffy inside. Onions to add flavor. Many use onion gravy but i am a little bit of a heathen here..with this recipe i can enjoy all of it without needing lashings of gravy but of course it would be perfect on it. A brian turner recipe slightly tweaked by me. Its best known as an english dish but with canada';s british heritage its very popular here as well. Do not be afraid of the proportions or the vinegar. I was, so used to heavier batters, more flour..and never with vinegar. Yet it helped lighten the pud and the batter was just perfect with the sausages..they even rose in the cooking. made this for the 3rd time, and this time was wanting something even quicker so didn't use the onions or herbs, just browned the sausages in the baking dish while the batter sat. Also halved it and it was just as wonderful
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
- 2Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, then crack in the eggs. Add the milk and water and mix well to combine.
- 3Add a pinch of salt and the malt vinegar and leave the mixture to stand for 30 minutes.
- 4Put a deep ovenproof baking tin on the stove, and heat 2 tablespoons of the dripping or lard. Add the sausages and fry until browned. Put into the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- 5In a frying pan, heat the rest of the dripping or lard and fry the onions until golden. Add the mixed herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Turn the oven up to 220C/gas 7.
- 7Take sausages out of the oven and sprinkle over the onions. Pour in the batter, and place the tin back into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- 8Turn the oven down to 180C/gas 4 and cook for a final 10 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and crisp.
- 9Remove from the oven and serve with gravy.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Toad in the Hole. Comfort at Its Best
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.3
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 281.7 mg
- Sodium 696.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 27.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: