Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is by far the best tasting pizza I have ever had. The crust is so good. We used smoke flavored chips on the charcoal and it added to the great flavors. Enjoy!
- 7.08 g envelope active dry yeast
- 158.51 ml water (110-115 degrees)
- 473.18-709.77 ml flour
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 9.85 ml fresh ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml olive oil, plus extra for brushing and kneading
- 2.46 ml sugar, for the topping
- cheese, any that you like
- 236.59 ml pizza sauce (or any sauce that you like, it's up to you!) or 236.59 ml alfredo sauce (or any sauce that you like, it's up to you!) or 236.59 ml garlic, sauce (or any sauce that you like, it's up to you!)
- For the dough: in a medium bowl, combine the yeast sugar and water.
- Whisk until all the yeast is melted.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Add two cups of the flour, salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil.
- Stir with your hands until the dough holds together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface (use oil not flour as it lends a crunchier crust). Knead until the dough is smooth about 8-10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball and let stand in an oiled bowl covered in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and transfer again to a lightly oiled surface.
- Divide the dough into to equal pieces.
- Stretch the dough with your hands until the dough is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Slide the dough to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Slide the dough onto the grill and cook uncovered directly over a medium heat until the grill marks are clearly visible.
- Brush the dough with olive oil.
- The crust may bubble but that is ok as it will deflate as you turn it.
- Turn the dough and brush again with olive oil.
- Top first with your cheese choice as the cheese will melt evenly being put on first.
- Next add you sauce and then toppings.
- Grill for about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- It is best after you add the toppings to close the grill and view every three minutes until the cheese is melted.
- I did not specify a quantity for the cheese as everyone likes different amounts of cheese.
- Let the pizza rest a few minutes before cutting it.
- I added minced garlic to my olive oil for brushing.
Tastes Wonderful.... Make sure cheeze goes on first.... Roma Tomatoes are good to add... and add Lots of GARLIC!!! to the crust. Topping recomendations..... thinly sliced grilled chicken, onions, pepperoni, crumbled ground beef or sausage....
I made my crust in my bread machine and then followed these directions for baking and topping the pizza. We had a great grilled pizza and will definitely use it during the summer.
We thought this crust was very good1 It was easy to make and had a great flavor. The garlic was key! We doubled the batch, then topped each pizza differently for a wonderful home made pizza buffet! Thanks so much for posting your recipe, it was very good! :)