Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
This recipe came from a friend of my mom. Her friend indicated that the recipe came through her family via a farm in Iowa. Use the larger amount of sour cream for a richer sauce. I serve the sauce over egg noodles.
- 1 lb top round steak, cubed
- 8 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces canned tomato paste
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 8 -12 ounces sour cream
- Melt butter in pan.
- Cook steak until all sides are brown.
- Saute onions until soft.
- Add rest of ingredients, except for sour cream.
- Simmer, covered for at least 2 1/2 hours; stir as needed.
- Add sour cream.
- Heat to serving temperature.
We liked this just fine but my family said it didn't taste like stroganov. It had a creamy tomato flavor which made it taste more like a tomato soup than stroganov. It could use some more spices to give it more flavor and with the long cook time it's just not a must make for my family. Oh, I did cook it for 1 1/2 hours and the beef was tender.