Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is on Weight Watchers most wanted list - you have been warned! But enjoy it for special occasions, especially holiday feast time!
- 3 ounces butter
- 5 ounces caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 ounces self raising flour
- 6 ounces dates, stoned and chopped
- 6 fluid ounces boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 teaspoons coffee extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons black treacle
- Place chopped dates in bowl with golden syrup, black treacle, coffee essence and bicarbonate of soda, add boiling water and leave to one side.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar, beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Carefully fold in the self-raising flour using a metal spoon.
- Fold in the date mixture including all the liquid.
- The mixture will be sloppy (this will make the pudding light).
- Place mixture in a greased and lined baking tray and bake in a medium to hot oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Finish pudding should be slightly resilient to touch if not turn down oven and bake for a further 10 minutes.