Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Yummy - yumminess. These are fabulous rolls and/or buns made with Spelt!
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups white spelt flour
- Add the warm water to your mixing bowl and stir in the sugar until most of it is dissolved. Gently stir in the yeast. Wait 5 minutes for the yeast to become active. You should see some yeast and bubble floating to the top.
- Mix in the cup flour. Add the egg and butter at this point and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the salt.
- Slowly mix in the rest of the spelt flour. When it forms a ball that just barely sticks to the bowl, then it is time to start kneading.
- Either turn it out onto a floured board or switch to a dough hook in your mixer, and knead for 3 minutes.
- Put the dough ball in the rising bowl and roll it around so that it is coated with the oil. Cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let rise for about 2 hours or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough and gently knead out any large bubbles. Let it rest for a few minutes.
- For Rolls:.
- Oil your cake pan. Pull off pieces of dough a little bigger than a golf ball and roll them in your hand to form round top. Place them side by side in your pan. I tend to make 4 rows of 4 rolls in an 8x8 pan and 5 rows of 5 slightly smaller rolls in a 9x9 pan. Cover and let rise for an hour. Preheat your oven to 350°F Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- For Buns:.
- Separate dough into 16 equal pieces and shape into flattened, round buns. Place onto 2 large cookie sheets and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F and bake 12-18 minutes.