Recipe by marc87
My Father originated this recipe and I have perfected it. Everyone I have made this for absolutely loves it and begs for more. My wife likes this more than chocolate.
Top Review by Michael F.
This dish was amazing. When I first saw the picture my mouth began to water and I knew I had to make it. I didn't stick to the recipe 100%. Instead of bacon bits I fried up fresh bacon and crumbled it into the mixture and used the bacon fat to add flavor. Amazinggggggggggg! My husband and I almost ate the entire pot in one day!!
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into 2 inch by 2 inch slices
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced in 1 inch slices
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 half container bacon bits
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 2 cups white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cabbage, onion, sausage, and bacon bits in a heavy pot.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan.
- Pour the melted margarine over the ingredients in the pot.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Cover and stir occasionally until cabbage is smothered to your liking.
- Serve over hot white rice and enjoy the explosion of flavors.