Recipe by brianbarcello
This recipe is the result of many trials of different recipes and techniques. For me this is the perfect shrimp ceviche. I use a precooked shrimp that is about twice the size of a cocktail shrimp. This size of shrimp can be somewhat difficult to find, I purchase mine at Costco in 2lb bags in the frozen section.
- 1 lb of precooked small shrimp, thawed and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (do not de-vein)
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 handful cilantro (1/3-1/2 bunch)
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw shrimp in refrigerator overnight. Squeeze juice from shrimp and place in colander. Rinse shrimp with cold water and squeeze shrimp again to remove excess water. This step is important to remove the "fishy taste", from the shrimp. Repeat this process once more and place shrimp in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix with a spoon. Dump ceviche into a ziploc bag and place in fridge, turning over the bag every 30 minutes or so to mix ingredients. After marinading for 2-3 hours, drain excess juice from bag and place ceviche back into the medium bowl. Enjoy on top of tostadas or saltine crackers topped with avacado slices. Feel free to double the recipe for potlucks or bbqs.