Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Left over rice never had it so good ! This creamy pudding is the perfect way to use up the extra white rice from Chinese take-out or from tonight's supper, and delicious enough to make you cook some up fresh, just so you can have this for dessert! Tastes great warm or cold--Enjoy!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, 2% or whole, do not use skim or 1%
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, cornstarch and nutmeg.
- Add milk, egg yolks, and vanilla, using wire whisk to beat until smooth.
- Add cooked rice, and pour into a 1 and 1/2 quart baking dish--you can also use a 9 x 9 square baking dish, but you'll need to decrease the cooking time by at least 15 minutes, if not more, so check carefully after the first hour.
- Place baking dish into larger pan, and pour hot water into outer pan to create a 1 inch deep water bath.
- Bake at 350 degrees, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours, or until pudding is creamy and milk is absorbed.
TGirl,What A Great recipe,I put the dry ingredients in a bowl as stated in your recipe, (including the cornstarch),Beat the wet ingredients in another bowl,then added them together an beat with whisk again,added rice and whisked all together.The only thing I did different was add 1/2 tsp.of cinnamon along with your nutmeg.The Taste? OMG!!!!! Well I like my rice pudding cold,usually,but the smell of it baking was killing me,so I had some right out of the oven,(As did my husband) and it was so good,so hot and creamy and deliscious,I have changed my mind about eating it cold.And My Husband ate two helpings HE loved it too.Thank You for this wonderful treat.Darlene
Yum Yum Yum!!! The smell of this baking in the oven was incredible. I, too added some extra spices to taste. And...since it was St. Patrick's week, I also added some Bailey's Irish Cream, just to make it a little more "special." I will absoultely make this again.
OMG!!! This was amazing!!! The smell while cooking was unbelievable, I couldn't wait for it to be done!! I added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon with the dry ingedients. I can't say enough about this recipe.. Excellent!!!