Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I've been making rice and beans for a while now, I just finally perfected my recipe.
Make and share this The Best Rice and Beans Ever recipe from Food.com.
- 3 center-cut pork chops
- 1 1⁄3 cups basmati rice
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (8 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 4 ounces kalamata olives
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 pinch basil
- 1 pinch oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups water
- Heat up the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- When the Oil is hot pour in the rice, onions, Garlic, Sofrito and Cilantro.
- Sautee for 10-15 minutes so the rice can absorb the flavors.
- Then, place the porkchops, olives, beans, salt, pepper, basil and oregano on top of the rice.
- Pour in 3 cups water.
- Cover and let cook on medium-low heat for 35-45 minutes.
First off, the rice and beans with kalamata olives is a fantastic combination. The olives look kind of like the beans, so every time one ends up in my mouth, it is a magnificent, tasty surprise. However, the pork chops were very dry and not that flavorful. Perhaps I overcooked them, but I used the recommended amount of time. I'm not a big fan of pork, anyway, so I think I will keep making this and just skip the pork, because the rest of it is incredibly delicious!
We really enjoyed these chops, rice and beans along with a Mexican corn dish. We will definatly be making this one again sometime. I made using Jasmine rice instead of the basmati, and left out the cilantro and added 1 tsp. cumin instead. It's a keeper!
AMAZING i keep making it over and over