Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
We were experimenting with different kids of ribs. We came up with this. It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. The dry rub you can store in an air tight container in the cupboard. I usually use western style ribs (more meat) and I make a double batch of the barbecue sauce and dry rub. You can also use the rub and sauce on chicken. I have been asked for this recipe many times. There is never any left over. My son asked for these as his birthday dinner. Hope you all enjoy.
- 2 (2 lb) racks of baby-back pork ribs
Dry Spices use 3 T
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Basting Sauce use 1 cup
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry spices
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (we like the chipotle or chili lime)
- 1 small bay leaf
Sweet Sauce use 1 cup
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup honey mustard
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (we like the chipotle or chili lime)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all dry spices ingredients in a small bowl.
- Dry rub the ribs and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, covered with plastic wrap.
- Stir together all Basting Sauce ingredients; cover and let stand 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- (Sauce is intended for basting ribs only). BRING all Sweet Sauce ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven.
- Reduce heat, and simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Prepare a hot fire by piling charcoal or lava rocks on one side of grill, leaving other side empty (for gas grill, light only one side). Place food rack on grill.
- Arrange ribs over unlit side.
- GRILL ribs, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300-350°F) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes with Basting Sauce and turning occasionally.
- Brush ribs with Sweet Sauce the last 30 minutes.
- If using the western style ribs you cook the same way except for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
Great Ribs!!Used this recipe twice now on a gas grill on low heat. Our ribs took about one and a half hours and were delicious. I basted every 10 minutes. Thanks