We were experimenting with different kids of ribs. We came up with this. It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. The dry rub you can store in an air tight container in the cupboard. I usually use western style ribs (more meat) and I make a double batch of the barbecue sauce and dry rub. You can also use the rub and sauce on chicken. I have been asked for this recipe many times. There is never any left over. My son asked for these as his birthday dinner. Hope you all enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (2 lb) racks of baby-back pork ribs
Dry Spices use 3 T
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Basting Sauce use 1 cup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry spices
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (we like the chipotle or chili lime)
- 1 small bay leaf
Sweet Sauce use 1 cup
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup honey mustard
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (we like the chipotle or chili lime)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Combine all dry spices ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Dry rub the ribs and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, covered with plastic wrap.
- 3Stir together all Basting Sauce ingredients; cover and let stand 8 hours.
- 4Remove bay leaf.
- 5(Sauce is intended for basting ribs only). BRING all Sweet Sauce ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven.
- 6Reduce heat, and simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 7Prepare a hot fire by piling charcoal or lava rocks on one side of grill, leaving other side empty (for gas grill, light only one side). Place food rack on grill.
- 8Arrange ribs over unlit side.
- 9GRILL ribs, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300-350°F) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes with Basting Sauce and turning occasionally.
- 10Brush ribs with Sweet Sauce the last 30 minutes.
- 11If using the western style ribs you cook the same way except for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 962.6
- Calories from Fat 541
- Total Fat 60.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.6 g
- Cholesterol 228.9 mg
- Sodium 1652.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 31.9 g
- Protein 60.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: