Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I have tried no less than 5 different recipes and several variations of Raisin Bread recipes before finding what I think is the best tasting recipe. It is a culmination of trail and error using various recipes found on the internet and in Bread Machine Cookbooks. This recipe makes approximately a 1.5lb (750gm) loaf.
- 270 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups plain white flour (I haven't tried bread flour)
- 1 tablespoon powdered milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon or 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup raisins (I dust them in a little plain flour to coat them and prevent them sinking to the bottom of the loaf)
- Firstly, mix the flour, milk powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon together thoroughly in a mixing bowl making sure there are no lumps.
- Now add the luke warm water and butter into the bread machine. (I divide the butter into four pieces and put one in each corner of the pan for easier mixing).
- Then add the dry mixed ingredients into the pan. Make a small well in the centre of the dry mixture and add the yeast.
- Set the Bread Maker / Machine to 'Sweet Bread' setting and wait for it to 'BEEP' (approx 15 minutes) before adding the raisins.
- Wait until cooked and enjoy fresh or toasted with butter -- YUM !
- ** If the mixture is too dry while mixing you can add a tablespoon of water. Alternatively if its too moist, a tablespoon of flour should sort it out nicely. **.
A ! I've already made this TWICE in the last 24 hours! Took the first loaf to my parents and it got gobbled up. It is wonderfully moist on the inside, but has a firm enough crust that slices hold their shape when sliced. I added 3/4 cup walnuts to one loaf and it was even better IMO. Delicious toasted, with peanut butter, and just plain! Flavor is incredible. Thank you so much tinytrev!
This is the best recipe for raisin bread for the bread machine. My machine is very large and does 2 loafs so I converted the recipe to make 1.5 loafs, turned out perfect for two loafs of raisin bread. I do my bread on the dough cycle in the machine and then shape the loaves for the two pans and raise in warm place approximately 1.5 hrs. and then bake.