Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These delicious pumpkin muffins full of raisins, dates,and walnuts and sprinkled with cinnamon- sugar are the perfect treat for an autumn day.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, brown sugar, butter and pumpkin.
- Mix in fruit and nuts.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add pumpkin-fruit mixture to dry ingredients and mix, using as few strokes as possible, until just moistend and combined.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over tops of muffins.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean.
These really are the best! I sent some home with my son, and his roommate called to ask for the recipe. I did cut back just a little on the baking powder, which can have a bitter taste, but other than that I made it as directed. Most muffin and quick breads are too sweet for us. This recipe is perfect. The dates and raisins made the muffins sweet without being overly sweet. With a cup of fresh, hot coffee ... what a treat!
These muffins were not really what I expected. They were not at all sweeet, and had an almost bitter taste to them - the dominant taste seemed to be the cloves. I wonder if perhaps white sugar was omitted from the recipe by accident. Sorry I couldn't give a better review.