Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This pot pie is one I make often in the fall and winter when we are looking for something warm and comforting for our tummies. We love it so much that I have to double the recipe every time I make it, because the first bite will have you asking for more! Creamy, wonderful blend of flavors, and comforting to the soul, this one is a favorite and crowd pleaser!
- 1 lb chicken breast halve, skinless, boneless, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups green peas, frozen
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots,and peas. Add water to cover, bring to a boil, and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Add in garlic and stir. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over the top. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough.
- Make several small slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown on top and the filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This really is fabulous, even without the pastry it would be a marvellous chicken sauce for enjoying over rice, even with pasta. very easily prepared, this made a really good dinner, and my DH insists the leftovers are for HIS lunch today! :) lots of tasty vegetables, I used the liquid I cooked the chicken and vegetables in, to make the chicken stock. A great recipe, thanks for sharing, Annie!
This recipe was made for My 3 Chefs Event.