Recipe by Old widow
This is our family's original southern pecan pie recipe. I have gotten may requests for this recipe, almost every time I make it someones asks me for the recipe! I am posting it here because I really appreciate all the great recipes I have found here and wanted to share something I think is really easy to make but comes out like a real gourmet treat.( I have found that a deep pie pan does not work as well as a shallow one in this recipe and you really should use a 9 or even a 10 inch pan if you have one.)
Top Review by Buzymomof3
Taste - amazing definitely 5 stars. But I baked and had to take it out after 50 minutes and it was probably a bit overdone. I don't know if we 'foamed' the eggs too much, but it was hard to incorporate into the syrup, I stirred for several minutes and finally just put it in the pie pan, but it made enough for a deep dish even though the recipe said use a normal pie shell. Well, that was ok because we made some mini pies. Probably because the foamy top, it got a hard crust on the top that was tasty, but very crunchy making it hard to cut. I will try it again beating the eggs less and baking a shorter time because the taste was worth it. Thanks OW! Made for My 3 Chefs 2012.
- 1 unbaked pie shell (you can use your favorite one but I have found that the pillsbury refrigerated ones work well.)
- 18 pecan halves
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9 inch shallow pie pan with pie crust. Press the pecan halves into pie crust edge at 1/2 inch intervals. Then, with floured fork , press edge of pie crust to pie plate in between each pecan half. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In saucepan combine the sugar, salt and corn syrup, simmer until sugar dissolves. Meanwhile beat the eggs until foamy. Into syrup stir the butter, vanilla and chopped pecans. Add eggs.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until center is almost set. Store in refrigerator but serve at room temperature. Top with whipped cream if desired.