Recipe by BeanPole
This recipe will make enough green punch to fill an average size punch bowl. If you are entertaining a large number of people and feel that you need to make more, just multiply all of the ingredients, with the exception of the sherbet. Recently I made this punch for my nephew's first birthday party. To serve aprrox. 50 guests, I multiplied the recipe by 4. Results vary depending on the size of the cups. To change the color of the punch, substitute a different flavor of Kool-aid with a MATCHING color of sherbet. (The two colors must match, othewise, the punch will turn brown.)
- 1 Kool-Aid lemon-lime powdered drink mix
- 1 cup sugar (more or less to taste, as indicated on the Kool-Aid instructions)
- 1 (2 liter) bottle ginger ale
- 1 (46 ounce) can pineapple juice (Dole)
- 1 (64 ounce) container lime sherbet (I use the Great Value Brand from Walmart)
Directions See How It's Made
- BEFORE THE PARTY: Make the Kool-Aid according to package instructions. Refrigerate at least overnight.
- Put the pineapple juice in the freezer a couple of days prior to the party. What I do is take it out of the freezer the night before the party and put it in the fridge. Then, early morning the day you will be making the punch, take it out and leave it on the counter to thaw up until time to assemble the punch at the party. You want it to be frozen slushy, not frozen solid.
- (This step is optional) I take a tube pan and I put about an inch or two of Kool-Aid in the bottom of the pan, cover the top with saran wrap and put it in the freezer. At the party, I put the frozen "Kool-Aid Ring" in the bottom of the punch bowl. This acts as ice and keeps the punch colder, longer.
- WHEN READY TO SERVE AT THE PARTY: Add your Kool-Aid to your punch bowl.
- Add the entire can of pineapple slush.
- Add as much of the Ginger Ale to the punch that you can without overflowing the bowl, (allow room for a couple of scoops of sherbet).
- Add several scoops of sherbet to the top. Enough to create a generous amount of "foam"
- Gently mix the punch.