Recipe by Adria82
My husband's grandfather was famous for this easy and delicious top round beef roast. Prep is quick, easy, and calls for less than 5 ingredients (not counting the beef, of course). The pan drippings make an out of this world gravy when whisked with a bit of flour. This is best served with mashed potatoes and oven roasted asparagus or broccoli (place veggies on jelly roll pan, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper, roast at 400F for about 20 minutes while the beef rests and you prepare the gravy). Please post pictures and ENJOY!
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was fabulous, Adria82. The little bit of kick from the mustard really added a nice touch to the roast as well as the gravy. We really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'll definitely make this again. Made for Spring 2014 Pick-A-Chef.
- 3 lbs beef eye round
- 1 -2 sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- kosher salt
- fresh black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup flour, for gravy
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Rub salt and pepper into beef roast.
- Massage mustard into beef roast.
- Set beef roast in desired roasting pan and cover with sliced onions.
- Add a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan if you wish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and roast about 1 hour.
- Uncover and roast for 30 minutes more.
- Cooking time will be less for medium/rare. Use a meat thermometer as your guide.
- Remove roast from oven and transfer roast and onions to serving dish. Cover with foil and LET REST FOR 20 MINUTES.
- Place roaster pan on burner (or transfer liquids to burner-safe pan) on medium heat and whisk in flour to create a gravy.
- Slice beef very thinly and serve with mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, and gravy.