Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Jamie Oliver's onion gratin. Rockin' good!
- 4 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 glass white wine
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 ounces fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Break the onion quarters apart to give you little "petals".
- Place these in an A4 sized dish or earthenware oven dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper, and toss in the thyme and garlic.
- Mix well, add white wine and cover tightly with two layers of tinfoil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove tinfoil, and put back in oven for 15 minutes until slightly golden.
- Stir in creme fraiche (or sour cream) and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Turn oven down to 350F and put back in oven until cheese is golden and melted, about 15 minutes.
- You can eat right away, or cool it down and flash it under the grill when the guests arrive.