My family loves this and I make it on regular rotation, it's so easy to make just mix everything in one large bowl then bake, you may prepare the complete casserole and refrigerate until ready to bake, which makes this a perfect potluck dish! --- I have even made this using frozen french fries that I cut up into small pieces when I had no hash browns on hand and can also be made using cooked cubed potatoes --- cream of chicken soup may be used in place of mushroom soup, you may even throw in some chopped cooked ham or chicken also, I most always increase this by using two cans of soup, 1-1/2 cups sour cream and using half a 5-pound bag of hash browns --- you will love this! :)
- 1 (10 ounce) canundiluted cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (more to top after baking if desired)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped
- 1 (2 lb) bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 13x9-inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl stir together the undiluted soup, milk, sour cream, melted butter, seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese; whisk or mix until well combined.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese, onions and hash browns.
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- If desired sprinkle about 2 cups grated chedar cheese on top and return to oven for 3 minutes to melt the cheese.