Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've tried several online recipes for vegan stroganoff but haven't been wowed by any of them. I created this version and it is by far the best we've had. My whole family loves it! It takes amazingly like the stroganoff we remember from our omni eating days. :o)
- 1 (6 cup) package pasta, egg-free ribbon noodles
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, vegan (I use Earth Balance, but vegetable oil would work too)
- 1 onion, minced
- 16 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth, beef flavored (we use Frontier beef-flavored broth powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, vegan (you could leave this out, it's not critical, but does add depth)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup vegan sour cream (I use Follow Your Heart)
- Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté mushrooms and onions until mushrooms have given up their liquid and onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring broth to a boil. Add salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk in flour and continue cooking until sauce begins to thicken.
- Return skillet to low heat and stir thickened sauce into mushroom mixture.
- Stir in sour cream (don't allow it to boil) and serve immediately over hot ribbon noodles.
Perfect! I used So Delicious coconut yogurt in place of the sour cream. Also garnished with fresh parsley and cracked pepper. Big hit with everyone!
Absolutely amazing!!! This was such a tasty meal! I was really surprised with how well it turned out. It wasn't too creamy or rich like some other recipes. I used Tofutti sour cream in mine and it worked perfectly. I can't wait to make this again and will be making it on the weekend for my non-vegan family. Thank you for this awesome recipe!
I loved how quick this and easy recipe was to make. I think I would have liked some added seasoning, maybe chives or a little dill. I would use less sour cream, I thought it overpowered the flavor of the mushrooms, just personal preference. Thanks for sharing the recipe.