Recipe by Rainberry Blues
I kept trying different Moussaka recipes, trying to find one that made Moussaka as good as what I had in a local Greek restaurant. Every recipe I tried was lacking something, so I ended up combining elements from several recipes to come up with this one, which I think is perfect. I serve it with Greek Salad and homemade bread from my bread machine. I often make it for company and they rave about it and call me a culinary genius. ;)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 piece bread, made into crumbs
- 1 large eggplant
- flour, as much as you need
- olive oil, as much as you need
- 3 russet potatoes, boiled in skins for 30 minutes,then peeled and sliced
- 7 teaspoons butter
- 7 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with fork
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat (either ground lamb or ground beef), onions, and garlic in olive oil.
- Add parsley, tomato, tomato sauce, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and bouillon.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Thinly slice eggplant.
- Dust with flour.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and brown eggplant on both sides.
- Cover bottom of greased large casserole dish (or greased small round roasting pan, which is what I use because I don't have a casserole dish big enough) with cooked, sliced potatoes.
- Top potato layer with with meat mixture and top that with eggplant.
- To make sauce, melt butter in saucepan.
- Add flour.
- Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook on medium-low, stirring constantly, until thick and just starting to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in eggs and cheese.
- Pour sauce evenly over eggplant layer in casserole dish.
- Place casserole dish into a larger pan containing some water.
- Bake, uncovered, for one hour.