This is more like a cake it's so moist and light, you may want to add in some green chilies or shredded cheddar cheese --- for a less sweeter taste reduce sugar to 1/2 cup --- this is very good!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional add in for heat)
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup oil (use vegetable or olive oil)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can corn kernels, well drained
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Butter an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together flour with sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together half and half cream or milk, eggs, oil and melted butter; add to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Mix in canned corn niblets.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the the cake tests done.