Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is more like a cake it's so moist and light, you may want to add in some green chilies or shredded cheddar cheese --- for a less sweeter taste reduce sugar to 1/2 cup --- this is very good!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional add in for heat)
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup oil (use vegetable or olive oil)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can corn kernels, well drained
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Butter an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together flour with sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together half and half cream or milk, eggs, oil and melted butter; add to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Mix in canned corn niblets.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the the cake tests done.
I made this bread for a family dinner and they absolutely loved it. My husband said this is a keeper. I didn't have enough half & half as the
recipe called for; used 1/2 cup of half & half (fat free) and and 3/4 cup of skim milk.. It took longer to bake then recipe called for. You will not be disappointed with this recipe. I tried other recipes in the past and they were not as moist as this one.
Wow, its like eating cake for dinner. We really like the sweet cornbreads and this one is wonderful. DD couldn't get enough. We served this with a 15 bean soup. Thank you for sharing.
I am not really a fan of cornbread, but I have to say that this recipe has converted me! I did make a change to make this gluten and dairy free: I subbed Gluten Free Café All Purpose baking mix for the regular flour, gluten free masa harina for the cornmeal (because I don't care for the grittiness of regular cornmeal), and Earth Balance in place of the butter. Just fabulous! Thanks for the great recipe!