Recipe by Air Force Mama
My mother got this from my grandmother and her mother. The word meatloaf just doesn't sound appealing, but after making it for my husband for the first time, he was in love. Now everytime I make meatloaf he is on top of the world. This dish is even a child pleaser as my 4 year old daughter is begging for seconds. To make it a little healthier, I use a loaf pan with an insert so that the oil and grease from the beef drain away and the meatloaf is not sitting in it.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, suited to your taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1 cup of diced day old bread or 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except for the ketchup until well distributed.
- Shape the ground beef mixture into a loaf and place in the loaf pan.
- With the ketchup, "ice" the meatloaf as if you were icing the top of a cake, and use more or less ketchup to suit your taste. In my family we like it with alot of ketchup.
- Bake in oven for 55 - 60 minutes.
- We serve this dish with mashed potates and corn.