Recipe by Dawn Michelle
This is an old Italian recipe. There is no frying involved. I guarantee you'll love these melt in your mouth meatballs!
Top Review by 501044
Very moist and delicious!! Not at all soupy! Be sure to squeeze the bread after soaking and don't add the water. I added a small handful of shredded mozzerella to the mix and these meatballs came out AWESOME!!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (i use italian style)
- 2 slices white bread (crusts removed)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups water
- tomato sauce, of choice, for stewing
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomato sauce in large pot on the stove on medium heat.
- Soak crustless bread in medium bowl with the two cups of water about 2 minutes until bread is totally moistened; squeeze out excess water.
- In a large bowl combine bread and all other ingredients except water, mix well with hands until all are combined. Add water if needed.
- Transfer onto plastic wrap and flatten meat to about 1/4 inch (this is an easy method to make meatballs eaqual in size, but optional of course; score meat mixture into 2 inch squares, (like a checker board).
- Roll'em up and place them in sauce.
- Stew in sauce for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.