Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Macaroni & cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. I can't stand that nasty boxed stuff. Give me the real thing! Takes a bit of time but it's oh so worth it.
- 1 lb radiatore or 1 lb fusilli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (2 slices white bread)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use additional butter to grease a shallow 3 quart baking dish.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Cook bread crumbs over medium heat until golden. Place in bowl.
- Clean saucepan. Add milk, flour, and garlic. whisk until blended. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil, whisking often. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining cheese, mustard, and salt. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Mix pasta into sauce (you may have to do this step in a large bowl). Pour pasta mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle top with crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned and bubbly.