Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Macaroni & cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. I can't stand that nasty boxed stuff. Give me the real thing! Takes a bit of time but it's oh so worth it.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use additional butter to grease a shallow 3 quart baking dish.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Cook bread crumbs over medium heat until golden. Place in bowl.
- Clean saucepan. Add milk, flour, and garlic. whisk until blended. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil, whisking often. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining cheese, mustard, and salt. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Mix pasta into sauce (you may have to do this step in a large bowl). Pour pasta mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle top with crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned and bubbly.