Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is by far the best mac n cheese recipe ever. I love this recipe the most because it it the only thing my mother makes that I like. The best part is you can mix up different cheeses and you can also use the sauce (with fresh parm cheese) to make the best alfredo sauce ever!
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup cheese, you can also use Velveeta cheese (I use Mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup cheese (for the top)
- 1 lb pasta (I use cavatappi or rotini)
- Boil pasta as directed and drain.
- Add chicken bouillon cubes to water and let dissolve.
- Butter a 13 x 9 pan.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and add flour mix until well blended and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth (bouillon and water) with whisk stir to a smooth paste.
- When that is smooth add half and half.
- Bring to a simmer stirring constantly, then add cheese.
- Once melted add sauce and pasta to prepared pan, toss to coast well.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F until hot and bubbly ( about 25 minutes).
I am sorry I could not give this more stars, but this did not work for me as much as I was hoping it would. There is too much of the roux. You need to cut down on the butter and flour proportions. I think they are off a little bit. I had to add more milk and more cheese for it to come out right. I want to make this again but cut down on the butter and flour. When I do, I will edit my review and state what I did. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Fall '08.
sounds great can't wait to try.