Recipe by What I didn't learn from MOM
This is by far the best mac n cheese recipe ever. I love this recipe the most because it it the only thing my mother makes that I like. The best part is you can mix up different cheeses and you can also use the sauce (with fresh parm cheese) to make the best alfredo sauce ever!
Top Review by AuntWoofieWoof
I am sorry I could not give this more stars, but this did not work for me as much as I was hoping it would. There is too much of the roux. You need to cut down on the butter and flour proportions. I think they are off a little bit. I had to add more milk and more cheese for it to come out right. I want to make this again but cut down on the butter and flour. When I do, I will edit my review and state what I did. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Fall '08.
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup cheese, you can also use Velveeta cheese (I use Mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup cheese (for the top)
- 1 lb pasta (I use cavatappi or rotini)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil pasta as directed and drain.
- Add chicken bouillon cubes to water and let dissolve.
- Butter a 13 x 9 pan.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and add flour mix until well blended and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth (bouillon and water) with whisk stir to a smooth paste.
- When that is smooth add half and half.
- Bring to a simmer stirring constantly, then add cheese.
- Once melted add sauce and pasta to prepared pan, toss to coast well.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F until hot and bubbly ( about 25 minutes).