Recipe by Daniele1969
This is a recipe that I tweeked from the back of the San Georgio macaroni box. It has become a favorite. People - this is NOT calorie friendly, VERY VERY FATTENING!! If you do not want to use the wine, just replace with milk (5 cups) and add some other seasonings, like Basil, Rosemary or Thyme. Use what ever makes your taste buds happy!!!
- 1 (16 ounce) box macaroni noodles
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 cups cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Make pasta and set aside. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- In a 3 qt stew pot, melt the butter over med heat. Then add the flour and blend completely. Now add the seasonings and, stirring constantly, Brown the flour mixture, about 10-15 minutes. Lower the heat if the flour mixture starts to brown too fast.
- Now add the 1st cup milk. Be careful with that first cup (no, you didn't ruin it. The additional milk will pull it back together).
- Now add the rest of the milk along with the white wine and stir constantly until it starts to simmer and thicken - about 20-30 minutes.
- Now add 3 1/2 cups of cheese to sauce.
- Stir until completely blended. Add noodles and pour into a 3 qt casserole dish.
- Cover top with last 1/2 cup of cheese and put in oven for 30 minutes.
- Let sit 20 minutes before serving.