Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from my sister in law 20+ years ago, and since then have used it exclusively. These bars are not goopy, and have a perfect balance of sweet and tart. The crust is almost like a shortbread and is so delicate. During lemon season I make almost a pan a day and they disappear as quickly as I make them. You will not be disappointed. I use my food processor to do the work; you can use a traditional hand operated pastry blender for the crust and your blender for the filling
- Preheat oven to 350. Locate an 8x8 baking dish.
- Crust: Combine the 1 cup flour, butter, and powdered sugar in the food processor. Run until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Dump crust mixture into the pan. Distribute and press down by hand create the crust over the pan. You should create a firm, even layer of crust over the bottom of the pan, and a short edge (1/4-1/2 inch) of crust on the sides, which will help to contain the lemon filling later.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Prepare filling while crust bakes.
- Filling: Combine lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and eggs into the same food processor bowl (no need to wash between steps). Allow the processor to run the entire time the crust bakes. Upon removing crust, add the flour/baking powder mixture to the processor and mix another minute. Pour this over the top of the crust.
- Place the pan back into the oven; decrease temperature to 325. Bake for 13-18 minutes. Top should appear white with golden overtones.
- Remove from oven; cool for at least 15 minutes. Cut into squares. (I cut mine with a "Bash and Chop"- a great tool).