Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This manicotti is great, if followedcorrectly. Been making this for about 10 years now.
Make and share this The Best Italian Manicotti recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thated, well drained
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) carton small curd cottage cheese, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 14 manicotti, cooked al dente
- Ina large skillet, brown ground beef, then add garlic and onion, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes and drain.
- Add tomatoes, and the tomato liquid, mushrooms, fennel seed, basil, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, and pepper and stir to mix well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a seperate bowl, stir together well drained spinach, half the parmesan, cottage cheese, nutmeg, and pepper.
- In a sprayed 9x13 inch baking dish, spoon 1/3 of the beef sauce evenly over bottom of dish.
- Fill manicotti shells with spinach mixture and place on beef layer in baking dish.
- Repeat until all spinach mixture has been used in manicotti shells.
- Pour remaining beef sauce evenly over manicotti shells to cover.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese over top.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until shells are tender.
This is a very good recipe, I substituted ground turkey for the beef because that's a personal preference. Otherwise, I bumped up the seasonings and added about 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes to give it a little zip. This makes a large casserole so I'll probably freeze some for a later dinner. Thanks for posting.
Very good but the time stated is off by about 1 hour. I used low fat cottage cheese which worked out fine. i didn't have as much spinach or mushrooms as stated but it was still great for dinner. Thanks for sharing!
I cooked this for a group of dinner guests and they loved it. This was the most easy recipe to make and the flavor is wonderful.