Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe about 20 years ago, wrote it down on notebook paper and stuffed it in a book. I rediscovered it recently and finally made it. This is quite frankly the best stew I have ever had. It is super good and oh so easy. You gotta try it.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs beef, cubed (stew meat, steak, or whatever)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 12 ounces stout beer (Dark)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 lb carrot, chopped
- 1 lb parsnip, chopped
- 1 lb rutabaga, chopped
- salt & pepper
- In a 4 quart or bigger sauce pan add oil and heat on med to med high(if oil smokes it too hot).
- Add meat to pan and saute until browned on all sides(if the pan of oil is not hot then the meat will stick to pan if using stainless or cast iron).
- Take out meat and set aside(leave juices in pan).
- Add onions and saute until done(about 8 min.).
- Add cooked meat, beer, and beef stock to pan. bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer for an hour.
- Add vegetables and simmer until done.