Recipe by Quistis145
This recipe comes from the vegetarian times and is actually a vegan recipe, though I am not either of those things :-). I made this because I just LOVE peanut sauces and this is the best one I have had, not to mention how simple it was to make! I used reduced fat peanut butter and it didn't seem to affect the recipe at all. It will keep up to a week or so in the fridge and personally, I like to either toss it with noodles and chicken or serve it with chicken chunks over brown rice. I don't like things spicy and this was perfect. I also saute the chicken chunks in 1 tsp sesame oil just to enhance the flavor. It makes quite a bit of sauce, I would say it serves 6! Enjoy!
Top Review by threeovens
This is peanut sauce the way I like it. It is tasty without being too hot and spicy. I found it was getting too thick when simmering so did not simmer the full five minutes. I used it mixed in noodles with some grilled chicken thrown in. Thanks for posting, will make again.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 large shallot, minced (1/4 cup, you can also use red onion)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat Oil in saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Saute shallot in oil 2 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and saute 1 minute (until fragrant).
- Whisk in peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup water until smooth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer about 5 minutes.
- stir in lime juice.
- This can be served hot or at room temperature.