1/1 Photo of The Best Hot & Sour Soup
I love hot & sour soup and have spent a lot of time perfecting it. This is the absolute best! You can adjust the chile paste to make it as spicy as you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoot
- 1/2 cup canned water chestnut, chopped
- 1/2 lb firm tofu, drained and sliced into strips
- 1/4 lb pork, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons oil
- green onion, chopped (to garnish)
- 1Reconstitute mushrooms in water according to package directions.
- 2Heat oil in wok or large pot.
- 3Add ginger, chile paste and pork, cook for about two minute.
- 4Add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and mushrooms, cook for 1 minute.
- 5In a bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, salt, pepper and sugar and
- 6pour into wok.
- 7Add chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minute.
- 8Add tofu and cook another 3-5 minute.
- 9Mix cornstarch and water and add to soup and cook until thickened.
- 10Stir soup in one direction to get current going then add beaten egg,
- 11it will look feathery.
- 12Garnish soup with green onion and serve.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Hot & Sour Soup
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.2
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1546.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili paste