Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
One of the best cornbread recipes, this recipe goes back years and I still make it, this complete recipe may be doubled.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening (Crisco is good)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry knife until it's like small crumbs.
- Beat in eggs, cream and honey; beat (by hand with a wooden spoon) until smooth.
- Pour into a well-greased and floured baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean, and the top of cornbread is golden brown (don't over bake).