Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of the best cornbread recipes, this recipe goes back years and I still make it, this complete recipe may be doubled.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening (Crisco is good)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup milk
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry knife until it's like small crumbs.
- Beat in eggs, cream and honey; beat (by hand with a wooden spoon) until smooth.
- Pour into a well-greased and floured baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean, and the top of cornbread is golden brown (don't over bake).
I can't have enough of this cornbread. I used butter since i had no crisco. This really is a good cornbread. I highly recommend making this
This is the most delicious conbread I have ever made!!! I used buttermilk in place of half and half, (after asking KITTENCAL) and butter, slightly less than a full teaspoon of salt. I baked the cornbread in my 10-in cast iron skillet at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. I will use this recipe often!
Very good! We like to eat this topped with a little butter and maple syrup. I didn't have butter flavor shortening so I used butter. Not overly sweet, I might actually add a couple TBSP of sugar next time.