Recipe by Nurse Brittani
My family has been making this since I was a little girl and I have always loved it. We usually cook it for holiday meals but I make it all the time just during the week. If you love cheese you will love this, it is very cheesy.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil the elbow noodles until cooked, drain and pour into a greased (I use cooking spray) 9x9 casserole dish.
- Cut 3/4 of the bar of 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese in to small cubes, do the same with the mild cheddar.
- In a 2 quart saucepan melt the butter.
- With a fork mix in flour until it looks like a paste.
- Stir in the milk, and cook until warm (not boiling).
- Once warm add in cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted stirring continuously with a fork (if you don't stir continuously cheese will burn to bottom of pan).
- Once cheese is melted, pour over the noodles; use a fork to move the noodles around to get the cheese mixture to the bottom.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes, or until you see some brown on top.
- Let it sit out for about 15 minute before eating.
- I usually start making the cheese mixture about 5 minute before the noodles are done, it goes a little faster. You just don't want to cook the cheese mixture first because it can't sit in the pan.