Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family has been making this since I was a little girl and I have always loved it. We usually cook it for holiday meals but I make it all the time just during the week. If you love cheese you will love this, it is very cheesy.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil the elbow noodles until cooked, drain and pour into a greased (I use cooking spray) 9x9 casserole dish.
- Cut 3/4 of the bar of 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese in to small cubes, do the same with the mild cheddar.
- In a 2 quart saucepan melt the butter.
- With a fork mix in flour until it looks like a paste.
- Stir in the milk, and cook until warm (not boiling).
- Once warm add in cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted stirring continuously with a fork (if you don't stir continuously cheese will burn to bottom of pan).
- Once cheese is melted, pour over the noodles; use a fork to move the noodles around to get the cheese mixture to the bottom.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes, or until you see some brown on top.
- Let it sit out for about 15 minute before eating.
- I usually start making the cheese mixture about 5 minute before the noodles are done, it goes a little faster. You just don't want to cook the cheese mixture first because it can't sit in the pan.
This wasn't that awesome at all. Wasn't that cheesy and didn't taste that great.
This is a good and basic mac and cheese. I agree with the other reviewers that this doesn't need so much cheese. You can basically cut it in half. Otherwise it's a great basic recipe that you can modify in what ways you see fit. Thanks for the great recipe Nurse Brittani.....
I am not a big mac and cheese fan, But my little boy loves it!!! So I thought I would give this recipe a try and it was FANTASTIC.....He loved it...The only thing I would do next time is cut down on the cheese..U really don't need it. Oh, and I did add 3 tablespoons of cream cheese. Such a huge hit :)