Recipe by darcy_arend
This recipe was given to me by my mom and I made them the first time for a football party. Everyone liked them so much that I ended up making more that day. Now they are what I have to take everywhere. They are wonderful, easy to make, and are loved by everyone. You can't go wrong!
Top Review by merrykcollins
This recipe is excellent. I have made it several times. Helpful tips: 1- Instead of using the stovetop, you can just microwave the butter and seasonings for 1 minute or less in a pyrex measuring cup, then stir well and pour in the sandwiches. 2-You can use any meat and cheese you like and they will still be amazing. My family loves mozzarella and uncured ham. (My hubby loves fried hot dogs and even pepperoni on his, believe it or not.) Feel free to get creative! (Next I am going to try a breakfast version of this sandwich...) 3-There is truly no need to marinate any time at all. I have done it both ways and can't tell a difference. 4- I prefer the Hawaiian sub rolls in a larger pan. (Don't cram too many in one pan or they are less crispy.) Also, make sure to pour a little sauce on the already made bottoms before you add the tops. Then pour most of it on the tops, rubbing it into the bread with the fork you used to stir the sauce. Amazing every time!
- 2 -12 packages of sweet hawaiian rolls (the small dinner roll looking ones)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs of virginia ham (NOT honey ham)
- 12 slices swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried onion
- poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need two 9 x 13 pans. Place the bottoms of 12 rolls in each pan. Place ham (about 2 shaved slices or so) on the rolls. Cut the cheese slices into 4 parts and place 2 small pieces on each sandwich. Put the dinner roll tops on. In a sauce pan, mix butter, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, and dried onions. Wait until all butter is melted and then pour the melted mixture over the ham sandwiches (I know it sounds weird but TRUST me). Sprinkle the buns with poppy seeds and cover with foil. Let refrigerate overnight (If not able to wait, it is okay. They still taste great if made right away). Preheat oven to 350 and uncover sandwiches. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes and serve. They are great hot and even at room temperature Enjoy!
- *I have made these with turkey also and they are good. Not as great as the ham, but they are good.