Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Oh so good!! Prep time includes the SECOND chilling time.
- 6 -8 lbs fully cooked ham, chilled (average)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup real butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey (clover preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup Coca-Cola Classic
- 1 (6 ounce) canfrozen pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 5 slices pineapple
- 5 whole maraschino cherries
- First, place the ham in a baking pan large enough to hold it without crowding the sides; Then put it into the refrigerator to chill.
- Now, in a 12-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, add the brown sugar, and cook it gently until it dissolves.
- Then over medium-high heatstir in the honey, Coca-Cola, frozen pineapple juice, ginger, mustard, paprika, peppercorns, and red wine vinegar, and stir constantly until all of the ingredients have become thoroughly blended and smooth (should have a semi-thick sauce at this point).
- Next, using a small ladle, generously baste the ham with the sauce (it should thicken to a glaze if the ham was chilled enough).
- Lightly cover the ham with plastic wrap and put it back in the refrigerator for at least another hour.
- When ready to cook: preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Take the ham and score it in diagonal cuts about a half-inch apart and a half-inch deep.
- Now decorate it with the pineapple slices and cherries pin the pineapple in place with toothpicks and put a cherry in the center of each slice (also push 4 cloves into each pineapple slice).
- Generously spoon the basting sauce over the entire dressed ham (you want to use all the sauce).
- Cover the ham with a tent made of aluminum foil (but do not cover it tightly, otherwise the tent will steam out all the natural juices and cause it to be dry).
- Plan to bake it in the oven for 1 hour, basting occasionally with the marinade drippings that collect in the bottom of the pan.
- Now remove the aluminum foil tent and bake the ham uncovered for another 35-45 minutes or until beautifully glazed; Continue basting until the marinade sticks to the ham and forms a shiny crust.
- When its cooked, remove from the oven, allow it to set for 15 minutes on the countertop before slicing, and serve it with generous ladle-fulls of the the"secret gravy.
I made this for a bridal shower... just GREAT everyone made compliments on this and finished a 7 kg ham (20 people). The galzed have the right taste betweeen sweet and spicy incredible flavor... even though it took me a little more than 3 hours to cook it about 4hrs... maybe because is the first time I made it.