Recipe by Hugce
This is great at room temperature or cold....tastes great either way. One of my moms best recipes.
Top Review by gypsygal
This is "German Potato Salad" in my book! My Dad who was born in Germany, made this often while I was growing up. He was a Chef but never left us with instrustions. I tried many recipes but this is it! I made this last night. I nearly cried, it brought back so many memerories and tasted sooooo good. I didn't change a thing. I used red potatoes and cider vinegar. It tates better warm or at room temp. Thank you for bringing back the good memories of the past.
- 3 lbs small potatoes, boiled, peeled and 1/4-inch sliced (I prefer red potatoes)
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons hormel real bacon bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Put vinegar, water, salt and sugar into small saucepan.
- Heat well, but do not boil.
- Pour over combined potatoes, onion, bacon bits, add oil.
- Stir occasionally.
- Mixture thickens as it stands.
- Always best if made several hours before serving. I usually prepare it in the morning and leave it on the counter till ready to serve in the evening.