Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is great at room temperature or cold....tastes great either way. One of my moms best recipes.
- 3 lbs small potatoes, boiled, peeled and 1/4-inch sliced (I prefer red potatoes)
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons hormel real bacon bits
- Put vinegar, water, salt and sugar into small saucepan.
- Heat well, but do not boil.
- Pour over combined potatoes, onion, bacon bits, add oil.
- Stir occasionally.
- Mixture thickens as it stands.
- Always best if made several hours before serving. I usually prepare it in the morning and leave it on the counter till ready to serve in the evening.
This is "German Potato Salad" in my book! My Dad who was born in Germany, made this often while I was growing up. He was a Chef but never left us with instrustions. I tried many recipes but this is it! I made this last night. I nearly cried, it brought back so many memerories and tasted sooooo good. I didn't change a thing. I used red potatoes and cider vinegar. It tates better warm or at room temp. Thank you for bringing back the good memories of the past.
This is just as we make it also. Love it!!! Great recipe.
My oh my, this was gooood! Make sure you don't overcook your potatoes for this one. We like ours sliced thin so the flavors get to the core of the potatoes. Really yummy to the tummy! We like it just as well at room temp as cold!