Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
So perfect on a chocolate cake that you’ll never frost one with anything else, ever again.
Make and share this The Best Frosting I've Ever Had recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar (not Powdered Sugar!)
- Bake your favorite chocolate cake (or whatever you want to frost!) and let it cool.
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) Stir in vanilla.
- While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add the cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.
- Grab a spoon and taste this wonderful goodness. If there is any left after your taste test, spread it on a cooled chocolate cake. Cut yourself a piece and put it on a pretty plate. Grab a fork and prepare to experience the most divine pairing you can imagine. This frosting on chocolate cake is to die for. Sure, the recipe sounds strange — it has flour in it — but it’s sublime. Try it, you’ll see. You’ll love it so much you won’t go back.
3/10/14 This is phenomenal frosting! I can't get over it. I didn't have any confectioners sugar so I searched out an alternative. I found this recipe via The Pioneer Woman and TastyKitchen.com The trick it to beat the daylights out of it until the sugar granules disappear and the butter / sugar combo is very creamy. This takes time. Then once you combine the flour mixture with the sugar, beat it like mad to get it airy & light like whipped cream. We could not stop stealing spoonfuls and licking the bowl. My daughter kept skimming it off the cake to steal more. NOTE: You can quick chill the flour mixture by setting your pan over an iced water bath. I successfully halved the recipe. YUM!<br/>3/13/14 Yes, I am making this for the 2nd time by request. Once again I halved the recipe and added 1/4 C of cocoa powder to it for a chocolate frosting, YUM YUM YUM!
What a unique recipe! I've never made frosting like this before and it turned out so good. Everything about it was spot on. I love the texture and it spreads like a dream . Thanks for sharing the keeper!
If I could have given it 10 stars I would have. SO easy so simple. Not sickly sweet light and fluffy. So easy to make just follow the directions and it turns out perfect every time! Colours perfectly as well!