Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This dressing will have you licking your plates clean, it's that good and better than any bottled! this is best if made a few hours ahead to blend the flavors or make a day ahead --- for creamy French dressing add in the mayonnaise and for creamy blue cheese French dressing add in 1/4 cup or more of crumbled blue cheese --- all amounts may be adjusted to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sugar (start with 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste or use 1-2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional, add in only for a creamy-style French dressing)
- In a large food processor blend all ingredients together until smooth (starting with 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 cup sugar and add in more to taste after mixing.
- Do not attempt to make this in a small 4-cup blender or you will have the dressing all over your counter!
- Mix in the mayonnaise (if using) for a creamy-style French dressing.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
This has a wonderful taste. I do feel that it has too much oil in it, but maybe it is the type of oil I used that made the difference. I used a canola oil, but would take direction for another. This makes alot so I don't have to make another salad dressing for awhile. I will make this again as it was very easy to make and taste very good on a green salad. It didn't have me licking the plate but I certainly made sure that ALL the dressing was sopped up. Thank you for posting Carol.
This is the best dressing for taco salad. I did not change a thing. I always get requests for the recipe
Because of the mayo; i reduced the oil by more than half. it's really unnecessary as it's usual purpose in the dressing is as a binding-agent and the mayo and ketchup sufficiently do that on their own