This dressing will have you licking your plates clean, it's that good and better than any bottled! this is best if made a few hours ahead to blend the flavors or make a day ahead --- for creamy French dressing add in the mayonnaise and for creamy blue cheese French dressing add in 1/4 cup or more of crumbled blue cheese --- all amounts may be adjusted to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sugar (start with 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste or use 1-2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional, add in only for a creamy-style French dressing)
- In a large food processor blend all ingredients together until smooth (starting with 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 cup sugar and add in more to taste after mixing.
- Do not attempt to make this in a small 4-cup blender or you will have the dressing all over your counter!
- Mix in the mayonnaise (if using) for a creamy-style French dressing.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.