1/1 Photo of The Best French Onion Soup!!
Jessica K's Note:
I love this soup! I could eat the whole thing! This tastes like what you would eat at a nice restaurant!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 cups onions, sliced fine, into rings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can good beef stock
- salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/8-1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices crusty bread
- 1/8 cup melted butter, garlic powder (to taste)
- 6 slices provolone cheese (or swiss cheese)
- 6 teaspoons shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1Saute onions in butter in a dutch oven. If not enough butter add more, 2 TB at a time until enough. Cook over med-high heat until onions begin to brown and caramelize. Add brown sugar, add stock and mix well. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minute season with salt and pepper. Add sherry and Worcestershire. If not enough liquid add some water using the beef stock can.
- 2Make bread croutons. Heat oven to 350°F Cut bread to fit soup cups and place bread on cookie sheet. Drizzle with butter-garlic mixture and bake till crispy, about 7-10 minute.
- 3Put soup into soup cups (ovenproof bowls) and put bread slice on top of each. Top each with slice of cheese. Then top each slice with heaping tsp of shredded jack cheese. Set soup cups in oven on cookie sheet and broil for 1-3 min or till cheese melts.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best French Onion Soup!!
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 517.6
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.8 mg
- Sodium 1038.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 14.9 g