Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe comes from Fleishmann's Yeast and is absolutely the best french bread recipe I have found. The texture is wonderful and it tastes and looks great. I always get rave reviews when I make this.
- Add 3/4 cup water, salt, flour, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and yeast to bread machine pan in order suggested by manufacturer.
- Select dough/manual cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into a 15x10 inch rectangle.
- Beginning at long end, roll up tightly as for jelly roll.
- Pinch seams and ends to seal.
- Taper ends by gently rolling back and forth.
- Place loaf, seam side down on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Lightly brush loaf with oil.
- Cover and let rise in warm draft-free place until almost double in size, 10 to 15 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep across the top of loaf.
- Lightly beat egg white and 1 tablespoon water; brush some of egg white mixture over top of loaf.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Brush again with remaining egg white mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until done- bread should sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove the bread from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.