Well at this stage I don't know if they are or aren't but a delicious looking recipe from our state/local paper and their feature of 7 recipes in 7 days. Times are estimated.
- 4 potatoes (medium)
- 400 g fish (fresh processed to a coarse mix)
- 1⁄2 cup spring onion (chopped)
- 4 anchovy fillets (chopped optional)
- 1⁄2 cup capers (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup pickle (sour roughly chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1 lemon (rind and juice of)
- 1 egg
- salt (freshly ground to taste)
- pepper (freshly ground to taste)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (or other breadcrumbs)
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (flat leaf)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup pickle (sour chopped)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Cook ther potatoes in salted water until they are very tender and then drain them and mash them finely.
- Combine with the fish and other ingredients down to and including the seasonsings and then using wet hands shape them into eight patties.
- Dust them with flour and then dip them into the egg and finallyu coat with the crumbs.
- Heat oil to moderate and cook them until they are golden browqn on both sides.
- FOR THE SAUCE simply combine the ingredients and mix well together and serve over patties and a sharp green salad.
What a wonderful recipe!
Great flavours, and they were delicious, although I did not add the anchovies.
I used homemade breadcrumbs (as I had a lot of bread to use up) and
I baked them in the oven and they came out really well.
The mayo really goes well with these, and is soooo very delicious.
I think I have found a recipe that the family will love over the coming summer. Although I really want to try the panko breadcrumbs next time! I think tuna would go really well in this recipe as well as fish fillets.
Thanks Pat, can't rave about these enough they are fantastic.
These are totally awesome!!!! The flavour is outstanding and the cakes themselves are so moist and not dry like other recipes I have made. My son adored them and did not stop raving the whole way through the meal. I added the anchovies even though we are not lovers, I know using them in certain recipes and only a small amount can really add some flavour without being able to taste them, which is totally the way they worked in this one. I did use 700g of barramundi fish fillets as they were huge fillets and we couldn't find 1 that weighed 400g so I bought 2 as it was on a very good special, I got 10 very large patties out of it. I coated ours in panko flakes as listed as I love the way these work in giving a nice crispy coating to the cakes which I think is far superior than regular bread crumbs. The mayo topping is delicious and goes perfectly with the fishcakes. A really great fish cake recipe one of the best I have tried and we will definitely be enjoying this again over summer. I served ours over a lovely salad for the perfect summer meal. Thanks for sharing Pat.